New Mind, New World, and New We....

Right now, I am sitting in my house inside of my room, on my new MacBook computer, that my family had got for me for my birthday.. Yes I really enjoy this new computer as this is giving me a sense of life now.. As I look around the whole world right now, I am starting to see that being on the computer in any form is great, but if we are just connecting and not creating, we are taking and not giving back..

People normally sit here and surf the internet for hours, then chat on MSN Messenger for hours, and then might go to facebook or myspace to communicate in their blog/community, then goto a photo sharing site and upload photos, along with that go to youtube or now livevideo to create a video entry. This is the world of a normal youth that is in high school or secondary school, and this is increasingly becoming the way youth use the internet.. The youth they sit create things for themselves or friends, and never think about "How is this going to look for the outside world?"...

As for myself, yes I do have this blog, and yes I have tons of photo sharing sites, and I do spend hours on MSN Messenger and surfing the internet, but wait I have no video site... Yes I know, this is still the same thing, and I really see that coming on the computer for me was about taking in information and really not giving anything back, well now I am going to start to create information.. The true task will be that this is not for myself, but for the greater world out there, and I will only give out to the world what I know will help them improve..

My really life goals in this next year are to become the person I have always wanted to be, enjoy the world as a whole... This is a big step, but in the next year, we will see someone who has given back more then has taken.. With every step, there is a way to give back to everyone, and I need to do this more... By the time Jan 1, 2008 comes around, there will be a new me, a person who is more humble, more aware of the world, more in tune with everything.. A goal is something I create every year but never live up to that goal as I feel about this.. This year is different, as I have already experienced so much and done more then any previous year... If I don't meet this goal, at least there is a sense that I have achieved something greater in my life..

I have worked on campaigns such as Car Free Day, Boreal Forest, and many other things in my life that I have been really sad about.. Just these are really not helping the people who really need the change, but we are helping the middle class change their views and values... When I look at the world now, and I see many people who can't even eat or walk or even speak, I feel we are missing out... Today, I am saying, the wall that I have created between me and the real world is going to be broken down, and there will be no wall but just me giving back... Over the next few weeks you will see me changing and evolving to a better person, and the computer will become a creative instrument instead of a tool.. Instead of this being for me, the focus will be for everyone in the world...

What I have figured out is that I need to create my own projects for the world and really get a move on them.. As for that, I need to really understand what my ideas are right now, and for the future.. Talking to a few people, and getting a sense, that the environment is huge in my mind is going to the focus.. We are going to choose one issue like Garbage, Oil and Gas or even Global Warming.. This is just the start of our ideas, but in the next few weeks you will see more creative posts, and ways to create a better world... We are going to need all the help in the world, and tons of feedback to all our ideas/events/actions...

Comments

om said…
have you ever edited a wikipedia entry? i feel like that would be giving a lot back, since so many people read wikipedia and have come to rely on it for all kinds of information.. however, i personally don't modify wikipedia entries because i know it will start to take up too much of my time. is that bad of me? perhaps, since i'm not even willing to give it a chance.

so i'm looking forward to all the possibilities you suggest in your entry. what are you going to do? do you participate in any online forums that you can recommend?

as for your mac.. i can't believe you went mac! :P

i notice you have a brighter template for your blog, which is cool..
Unknown said…
Hi Shawn - I finally got a chance to look through your blog - wow, it sounds like your travels and adventures have made a big impression on you. I think visiting other parts of the world is always an eye opener. I'm exciting about your interest in the environment - there is so much to do in this area and it effects so many other areas (i.e. global warming, food quality, health and safetly issues, treatment and health of animals, indigenous peoples...) Good luck in your pursuits.

BTW - mac's are super cool (sorry omar) and I know a lot can be done with computers, though I think getting out into the world and engaging in real life is more powerful.

See you soon Shawn (maybe you can come down to Boston for a visit - you gotto see how BIG Farooz is !!!)

Reema