Torontoist???

I have been watching the landspace of the Toronto Media change for months now and I am reporting on this for the first time.



Here is the list of Traditional Media:

Toronto Star
National Post
Globe and Mail
Toronto Sun

They are all trying to compete with the people who are running the New Media on the Internet in Toronto which are:

Torontoist
BlogTO
Spacing

These new media players are gaining a lot of respect in many ways. I enjoy reading all of these, but from what I see is that Spacing and BlogTO still take from the Traditional Media which is annoying me lots. When I came across Torontoist about a year ago, I was interested in all the ways this was different.

Torontoist is different because they go out of their way to try and get the News first but in a creative way. They push past all the garbage and bring to us the real news that Traditional Media does hit or use. Along with this they have shown a way to be creative with Photographic and everyday have the best photos from Toronto I have ever seen.

The sad news is that Torontoist is going to be put to rest at the end of this year, and I am afraid to say this but GOTHAMIST who owns the site missed out on keeping Torontoist alive for all of Toronto. Yes the revenue wasn't there, but almost all the people working for Toronto as bloggers were doing this free. They knew Toronto needed a bigger and better way to get news to the people of Toronto.



The point was that they were not just about the News, but reported on areas of the city that no one else did and always came had events or meetings or music shows up that hardly anyone knew about. This is the first time a site that I truly enjoyed is going to be put to rest and never woke up again.

Like Torontoist, I have at times reached out to people I know and ask them to blog on my site, but no one has been able to give me their time or energy to do this. I wish that there were more people blogging on my site to give us a scope of Toronto or even the world in different issues.

The best thing I understand about the New Media is that Ads pay for everything, and I am sadly hurt that even when we have an amazing site that revenue was the thing that did them in. Like the Traditional Media in Toronto, we need a race to get Ads into the Newspapers and this is making me feel a little sick.

What we truly need is a way to stay totally free and deliver the best media out there. I believe that by not having Ads on a site you do much better and give the public more of what they want. Overall I am sad about the loss of Torontoist but happy to see that there are many many great people in Toronto.


Just to add at the bottom of this, youth at the Climate Change Talks in Poznan, Poland talked about Survival is Non-Negotiable. Here is a Video of what I mean and Standing Up for Youth all around the World.

Comments