Close to Zero Waste

My closet that is packed full of clothes, books and other junk.

I have been trying to downsize the amount of waste, I have in my life.  For many many many years, I always feel, I need to get rid of all the junk that comes with every move I make.  After awhile, you get use to getting more and more junk that you don't use but random items end up everywhere.  Our society is that way, the bigger and more random items you have, the more others will think you are rich.  The reason for that, is talking about money is a no no, and when you do, people run away saying "I don't want to talk about money."

Am I anywhere need zero waste and being called a zero waster?  I can say, I have been close at various times but currently, not at all.  The zero waster is someone who creates next to none or no waste that is truly waste which doesn't include recycling or composting.  For sure, we all know that recycling is starting to becoming a taboo as very little is actually recycled in the world.  We need to start to upcycle items as that will allow us to continue to use that item or parts of that item.

For myself, I have started again to downsize, and really get rid of everything that I am not using ever again.  I am going to start this daily again as this will allow me to get to my end goal of getting to zero waste.  The first two big items is getting rid of a dresser and clothes I don't use.  Along with making a list of what I have and putting them into two boxes, what I need and what I could get rid of.  Making the list, will make me happier and continue to push to reduce all my junk that I don't use.

If our society was into getting as close to zero waste as possible, this would help us reduce our environmental footprint.  Yet, people have been brainwashed by companies to buy what they make and whatever packing that comes in.  We, as a society, need to start to going back to the ways of our grandparents or how people lived 100 years ago.  I know some people would say, they had less junk because there was less around them.  This is true but we do need to live with less and start to show that we care about the environment and nature around us more.

For me, I care that I am leaving a planet that has so many problems for my and the next generation to solve.  Many of them, can be solved if we create less junk and waste in the first place.  If we were more sustainable in our choices this would help us leave a better world for people who will come next.  My generation has to deal with the climate crisis and making a more sustainable world for everyone.

The challenge for me is to focus on where I can reduce junk like clothes, oversized or small items, and in general plastic, where I don't use them.

Comments