Day #2 Alone and Fun???

I tend to value being around people, when I am out and about as the rest of my life is 95% on my own.  This is why, the challenge today was to go somewhere alone but still have fun.

For Day #2, I went to the Art Gallery of Ontario (AGO) on my own, on a evening which was free, which could have gone sideways.  As with most things I do alone, I am quite quick and try to do things fast and get out there.  I set the goal of being out of the AGO by 8pm and was able to see all the art, I wanted to in less than an hour.

You say, how can someone go through an art gallery, as big as the AGO which has two floors and art on almost everywhere the eye can see and not see, in less than an hour.  Well, I tend to look at the art quickly and stop at the ones I find the most fascinating but I don't stay for long as I tend to get a vibe and the art pieces fast.  The only ones, I really stay around for longer are the abstract pieces, secret they are my fav.

The other pieces, I really enjoyed were the Indigenous ones that really were telling a story and made me feel alive.  There were pieces from all across Canada, and made me think of people I know from the various areas.  The best piece was the Water for Life one which was glasses filled with water on a table.  The others, were the ones from Northern Canada.

As I was walking around, I saw there was a special exhibit going on.  I walked around for at least 10 minutes in the area of the special exhibit when finally, my body agreed with my head to go see the pieces.  I paid the money, and went in to the exhibit about the environment called Anthropocene.  The exhibit is done by trio of photographer Edward Burtynsky and filmmakers Jennifer Baichwal and Nicholas de Pencier, which showcases changes humans have made to the Earth’s systems.  There was so much beauty and art from many parts of the world.  Every piece made me think differently about the world and reminded me what I am fighting for in my volunteer/paid work on climate change.  Below is the piece that really brought this home for me.  There were many pieces that showcased how our dependence on natural resources like oil, trees, plastic etc is making humans change the world in ways never before seen.

A photo from Vancouver Island in Canada

Overall, my experience at the AGO went even better than I thought this would.  I had fun seeing all the different art and how every piece made me feel differently about myself and the world.  Some of the art made me think about how I do my own art including that one small change could make the art totally different.  I also felt that the medium I use can always change, yet still bring my vision out in the art.

Would I do this again???  In a heartbeat as going somewhere alone but packed with people makes me feel happy.

Comments