Gender Identity Update #1

I will be doing a series every week from Monday to Friday on one topic that screams me to talk about.


As I have said before, how do I identify myself, which is something I think about all the time.  Some people say they are male and others say they are female.  Most people feel that you can pick how you identity but there is also people who don't want to label themselves and most people say that means you are agender, without gender.  I identify with agender as that is not I see myself as I don't feel that I identify with either male or female.  In the past when I was a teenager, I didn't know about this label, and wasn't really thinking about how I would identify my gender.  Most people learn very early that they are either male or female and then when people learn about agender, they don't know how to feel about that.  When people are born, most babies are told they are male or female based on what is showing outside their body.  If someone says their baby is agender and will let them choose their identity, people get confused and say this is not normal and shouldn't happen.  This is not right as male and female is made up by society ourselves and should allow anyone to pick the label they want.

The other thought is how do people want to use their pronouns.  People assume that the best pronouns are he/him and she/her but people can pick which pronoun is acceptable to them.  There are other pronouns people use, and the third most common is they/them as that allows people to be identified in other ways.  For myself, I identify as they/them as that allows me to be known as agender and not have to be pick one label or the other.  As I said above with gender, pronouns are the same that they are society made and should allow people at a very young age to pick which one they want to be.  This shouldn't be society as a whole to say, person's pronouns are up to them and not what private parts they have or what clothes they wear.


What is the difference between sex and gender?  I have talked a lot about people thinking that what private parts you have might made people think you are either one gender or another.  Yet, I don't think that people can assume that the private parts determine the sex that they are.  Sex doesn't equal gender because people both are constructs of society but most people believe that sex equals private parts and gender equal what you wear on the outside.  Yet, as society moves forward as this always does, people minds change and the majority move on to think that labels are labels and they can change.

What is transgender?  In our society today, there are a number of ways people can identify as transgender.  This is where people actually want to match their appearance with what they feel inside they are.  More and more, this is happening at a younger age as parent(s) or guardian(s) are taking the advice of young people into factor.  For myself, this was not taken into factor as I have said before, but I have known for a very long time that I wanted to match how I feel inside with my appearance but haven't been allowed so I didn't do that but might as I go forward.

Is society changing to embrace these new norms?  I feel that in some places like in my country, things re changing for sure.  Yet, there are still people as in everywhere that don't feel they need to talk about gender, pronouns, sex etc.  The biggest way society is embracing the new norms is creating gender neutral bathroom where anyone can use them no matter who they are.  Yet, society is not moving fast enough for some people, and they are trying to change society themselves as I am.


If you have any questions, comments, or thoughts, please leave them below and I will get them when I have a chance. I would love to hear what other people think.

Please support me via donating on my Patreon page.

Comments