Mental Health Breakdown

I will be doing a series every week from Monday to Friday on one topic that screams me to talk about.


Last week, in one of my blog posts about coming out, I said that I went through depression.  Depression has changed my life since I doctors told me I had this.  I went from high school where I was doing a lot in techology, and then when I was wanting to go to post secondary school, I couldn't figure out what I wanted to do, so I picked computers.  I went away from my home city, 4 hours, and had fun but only lasted one semester before I dropped out.  At the end of this, I was so bored, and not sleeping well and really not feeling myself.

When that happened, I went through about half of hour of going to various doctors, and figuring out what I wanted to do with my life.  I went to doctors that tell me that drugs would help, and I took a few of them over a few months but they didn't do anything for me.  I also went to a therapist that was really helpful for me, and made me explore different ways of thinking.  The biggest challenge at the time was that, I was in a place where talking was very hard and I couldn't really get my feeling out to talk to anyone about what I wanted to do in life.


How can I have depression, if high school was great?  I always felt that the school that I went to from grade 6 to grade 12 was unique.  The classes were small, and I was given so much unique teaching that I couldn't have had anywhere else that I know about.  Maybe, I was put in a bubble during my schooling before post secondary school.  I was really happy in what I was doing in and out of school.  The reason, depression came on, was the bubble was broken and I had to go to a program that I didn't really like, and to a place I had never been to.  This was like school after school after school, and the best part was high school that was the best part even with all the small issues here and there.  Most people, feel high school was the worse part of their life, and say "it gets better", but my high school time was great and thought this was my favourite part of my life at the time.

Why do you not take medication for my depression?  The point of medication is to get you to a society version of normal.  I have never been normal in my life, and medication was making me feel the same as I was before.  My parents are two very different people, one takes hardly any medication unless they really need to, and another who takes so many meds that needs to be reviewed every so often to see what they take.  I seem to lean towards, not wanting to take meds for almost anything, and figure out other ways to make sure my depression at the time went down.

Why did I go to a therapist?  People thought that if I went to a therapist, I could talk about what I was going through since the medication wasn't working.  At the time, I was feeling lonely and hopelessness in my life.  This is where, I could finally see that my family didn't really understand what I was going through and I couldn't talk to them about all the issues.  My family was never very open to talking about many different issues including depression.  Going to a therapist actually opened my eyes to what I was feeling and made me think about what I really wanted to do.


If you have any questions, comments, or thoughts, please leave them below and I will get them when I have a chance. I would love to hear what other people think.

Please support me via donating on my Patreon page.

Comments